Fall is a great time for many things, from pumpkin patches, to apple picking, to holiday fun with your family. Because so much happens at this time of year, though, it’s easy to get too busy to notice that your health habits have slipped. This year, make your health a priority, with some easy tips for creating healthy fall habits.
- Get out and enjoy the season! The crisp, cool weather of fall brings respite from the dog days of summer, and there are plenty of opportunities to have active fun with your family. Pick apples, walk a corn maze, or participate in a Halloween parade; the trick is to get moving while having fun and enjoying the outdoors.
- Learn something new. As any school child can attest, there’s something exciting about starting fresh in the fall. Now is a perfect time to join a team, or take a class, or learn a new skill. Whether it’s soccer, tap dancing, or pottery, you can have fun and exercise your mind, as well as your body.
- Protect yourself from illness. Two of the most important ways to protect yourself in the fall are to get a flu shot, and wash your hands. There are plenty of germs going around in the autumn, and when you spend time in a crowd, especially indoors, you’re bound to come into contact with some of them. Alcohol based sanitizers can help, but the best way to clean your hands is with good old-fashioned soap and water. If you sneeze or cough, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue, and if you do get sick, be courteous to others and stay home.
- Indulge in seasonal produce. Fall is harvest season, and that means you have an abundance of great options for healthy menu items. Winter squash and greens, sweet potatoes, carrots, and other root vegetables, pomegranates, and citrus are all nutrient-packed foods that are plentiful in fall.
- Get ready for winter! Now is a great time to make your home safer, testing and replacing batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and weather proofing in anticipation of cold weather. It’s also a good idea to have someone come out and give your heating system an once-over, to prevent nasty surprises when the temperatures plunge.
No matter what the season, healthy habits can help you live a long and happy life. Be proactive about protecting your health, and you’ll be amazed at how good you feel. At our clinic, we work with our patients to help them reach their wellness goals, and live their best possible lives. Call today for your free consultation, and to see what we can do for you!